storing gpg keys on a database

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Mon Jan 19 16:39:24 CET 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 11:43:21AM +0100, Ramon Loureiro wrote:
> Werner Koch wrote:
> > On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 11:23, ramon.loureiro at upf.edu said:
> >

> >> Could you give me some references (libraries, structures...) on how to
> >> store GPG keys on a database?
> >>

> > Export them _without_ the option --armor and store them as a binary blob.
> >

> Hi,
>
> Thanks, but I'd like to build an application to quick search for keys
> and the input should be an email...
> If I have to export on the fly every key, it will be very slow.... isn't?

Almost everything you need is done for you: set up a keyserver.
Given what you're describing, it sounds like a LDAP keyserver is the
way to go.  GPG talks to it natively, and you can do any sort of
queries you like.  For example, an email search can be as simple as:
(pgpUserID=*the-address at i.am.looking.for*)

David