storing gpg keys on a database

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Jan 20 09:12:29 CET 2009

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 16:12, rjh at sixdemonbag.org said:

> This is O(n) lookup, isn't it?  If Ramon is looking at a db or a custom
> solution, I was assuming he needed something a lot faster.  But yes, if
> O(n) is good enough, the right thing to do is to just let GnuPG handle it.

It depends on what he want to do with the key.  If he eventually needs
the key to encrypt a message using gpg, the fingerprint approach saves a
lot of disk space and voids importing a key right before encrypting to
it.

BTW, gpg has all the infrastructure to add another storage backend, for
example a DB backend.  In fact there used to be a gdbm backend once.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner