storing gpg keys on a database

Manuel Leithner manuel.leithner at runbox.com
Mon Jan 19 12:11:36 CET 2009

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 11:43:21 +0100, gnupg-users-bounces at gnupg.org wrote:
> Werner Koch wrote:
> > On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 11:23, ramon.loureiro at upf.edu said:
> >

> >> Could you give me some references (libraries, structures...) on how to
> >> store GPG keys on a database?
> >>

> > Export them _without_ the option --armor and store them as a binary blob.
> >

> Hi,
>
> Thanks, but I'd like to build an application to quick search for keys
> and the input should be an email...
> If I have to export on the fly every key, it will be very slow.... isn't?
>
> _
> ramon

If I understand you correctly, you want to build a database with a table like this:

mailaddress VARCHAR(100) PRIMARY KEY,
pubkey BLOB NOT NULL

Is that correct?
If so, it shouldn't be that hard to do - just run a cronjob every now and then which fetches exactly those values and inserts them into the database (if you were to use a bash script or something, chances are you have to ascii armor it).

By the way, what exactly would your application do that gpg --export <mailaddress> does not?

Regards,

Manuel