how to get private keys out of a old computer

John Clizbe John at Mozilla-Enigmail.org
Wed Jan 21 13:33:03 CET 2009

Condor Kim wrote:
> I have a question, can anyone help me?
>
> on my old computer i had gpg4win and enigmail all installed with several
> private keys created. but then i bought a new computer and and
> reinstalled gpg4win on it. now how do i recover the old private keys
> from the previous computer? i do still have the hard drive of the
> previous old computer. i tried to retrieve keys with PTA, and found a
> file called "trustedkeys" outside the "users" file on the old hard
> drive, but when i retrieved this file, it said "no keys are found".

The default keyring location on Windows for GnuPG is %APPDATA%\GnuPG.

On Vista this typically expands to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\GnuPG

Copy/Move this entire directory to the same location on your new machine,
changing <username> if necessary.

running 'gpg -version' at a command prompt on either machine will list out the
expected location of your keyring files.

--
John P. Clizbe                      Inet:John (a) Mozilla-Enigmail.org
You can't spell fiasco without SCO. hkp://keyserver.gingerbear.net  or