A question about Camellia

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Fri Jan 23 23:14:15 CET 2009

David Shaw wrote:
> You have the ability to do pretty much that, but:

I actually don't, but for policy reasons.  My local policy is "have
total control over what I send, but don't assert control over what I
receive."  I guess you could call it my small-l libertarian philosophy
as applied to OpenPGP.

Whatever traffic someone decides to send me, if it's valid OpenPGP
traffic, I want to be able to make sense of it.  However, when it comes
to sending traffic, I tend to be much more restrained: I have most of my
machines set up with a personal-cipher-preference of 3DES, and a
personal-digest-preference of SHA256.

I don't mind if we as a community decide to restrict OpenPGP to a
smaller subset of algorithms.  I don't think I should try to coerce my
prejudices on the traffic sent to me by others.  I think the best way to
restrict algorithms is by community consensus, not by me restricting the
list of algorithms in my key preference list.