compatibility of Gnupg-1.4.9 to Gnupg-1.0.6

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Sat Jan 24 18:50:49 CET 2009

On Jan 24, 2009, at 3:19 AM, Anne Wilson wrote:

> On Saturday 24 January 2009 04:59:29 David Shaw wrote:
>> On Jan 23, 2009, at 5:17 AM, rahul kaushik wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> I have an issue which is described below:
>>>
>>> earlier i was using Gnupg-1.0.6 for my appliaction. Now i have
>>> replaced it
>>> with Gnupg-1.4.9.
>>> I am facing some issue related to keyrings. As per my application.
>>> I need to perform following application.
>>>
>>> I did finally get these encrypt/decrypt procedures to work:
>>>
>>> 	gpg (1.0.6) for encryption followed by gpg (1.4.9) for decryption
>>>       gpg (1.4.9) for encryption followed by gpg (1.0.6) for
>>> decryption
>>>
>>> 	But for that i have to use same ( gnupg-1.0.6 ) keyrings file for
>>> both
>>> situations.
>>
>> In the GPG tarball, in the "tools" directory, there is a script
>> "convert-from-106".  Run it, and you should be in better shape.
>>
> Is this something that all of us with old keyrings need to do?  If
> so, can you
> please either point us to instructions that a user could follow, or
> explain
> how to do it?  Thanks.

If "old" is 1.0.6 (circa 2001), and you haven't used any version of
GPG after 1.0.6 (i.e. you just upgraded from 1.0.6 to 1.4.9 like the
original poster) then you just need to run the convert-from-106
script.  There aren't any instructions beyond that.  The script takes
care of the various changes for you.

If you're not sure what to do, run it.  There is no harm in running it
when it is not needed.

David