Safety of the key and it's length

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Mon Jan 26 15:54:49 CET 2009

On Jan 26, 2009, at 8:10 AM, Michał Gołębiowski wrote:

> I generated a gpg key using 'gpg --gen-key' (using GPG 1.4.6). What
> concerns me is that no matter how strong agorithm would I choose, it
> doesn't affect the size of the public & private key. It's probably ok,
> but I wonder - how safe is the private key having exported ASCII
> signature sized circa 2600 bytes? Public key is similar in size.

It's difficult to say from the information here.   If you want to know
the size of your key, just do a --list-keys.  The size of the exported
key (especially when ASCII armored) does not really give you the
number you're looking for.  In the --list-keys output, the size of the
key is the number after the "pub" and before the "D" or "R" that
indicates key type.

David