Anyone afraid of quantum computer?

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Wed Jul 1 23:22:13 CEST 2009

Kārlis Repsons wrote:
> Opinions on if we are likely to experience it, the public key demise?

Our largest superpositional computer can store about five qubits.  We'd
need to hit about 5000 qubits before public key cryptography would be in
trouble, and about 10000 qubits before it would be in a lot of trouble.

Once you see IBM put together a 3000-qubit computer, then will be the
time to start worrying about public-key cryptography.

At present, superpositional computation is science fiction.