gpg2 does not detect smart card adapter

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Jul 2 11:14:38 CEST 2009

On Thu,  2 Jul 2009 00:43, jan.suhr at privacyfoundation.de said:

> smart card adapter and tells me "OpenPGP Karte ist nicht vorhanden:
> Umbekanntes IPC Kommando" (OpenPGP card ist not available: unknown IPC
> command). My system is Ubuntu and I used its gnupg(1) and gnupg2 packages.

Is the gpg-agent running?  Run "gpg-agent" and it will tell you.

Is the scdaemon installed? Run

   gpg-connect-agent 'SCD getinfo version' /bye

This should display the version number of the scdaemon. Check
permissions of the reader (/dev/bus/usb/NNN/MMM), you need to have write
access

If that is all fine, you need to enable debugging: Add these lines to
~/.gnupg/scdaemon.conf:

  debug 1024
  debug 2048
  log-file /foo/bar/scdaemon.log

Restart scdaemon (Use "kill" or with the latest GnuPG versions:
"gpgconf--reload scdaemon").

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner