My public key block appears different on keyservers

Matt Gantner gantner at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 14:36:14 CEST 2009

I'm not terribly familiar PNG or GPG keys so bear with me.

I am understanding your statement to be saying that the two keys are
really the same asci text but the line breaks make them appear to be
different.

To test that I ran diff on the two keys and they are completely
different text. Every line was different. So I am falling back to my
theory that the key server software appears to make the public key
different by the nature of its encoding when uploaded.

I managed to set another computer up, with a second gpg identity. I
encoded a message to my first identity using a public key from the
gnupgp keyserver and was able to decrypt it successfully. So despite
the variation in the asci text and length of the public key works.

I am still curious however and wonder if anyone has a theory why these
public keys change depending on the key server?

Thanks for the responses and help.