gnupg as ssh-agent

Ingo Krabbe ingo.krabbe at eoa.de
Sat Jul 11 02:22:01 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 12:58:16PM -0400, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> On 07/10/2009 12:41 PM, Ingo Krabbe wrote:
> > Of course I read that (multiple times to find the hidden secret), but that
> > doesn't answers the question, as I want to use my GnuPG Identity for the SSH
> > Identity.
>
> If you have an authentication-capable subkey on your OpenPGP key, you
> might be interested in monkeysphere (http://web.monkeysphere.info/),
> which has some tools for importing authentication-capable RSA subkeys
> into a running ssh-agent.
>
> i'm part of upstream on the monkeysphere project, and i recommend using
> OpenSSH's implementation of ssh-agent over any other implementation,
> including the implementation in gnupg-agent.  The OpenSSH folks have
> done a really solid job for every day use.

[from monkeyspere documentation]
Then hand off the authentication subkey to the agent (Note: the GnuTLS library
supports this operation as of version 2.6, but earlier versions do not):

$ monkeysphere subkey-to-ssh-agent
[eof monkeyspere documentation]

Seems to do what I searched for somehow.  I wonder what special preparations
$ monkeysphere gen-subkey
does to the subkey.