Public key crypto by hand

Brian Mearns mearns.b at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 20:12:45 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 2:06 PM, Brian Mearns<mearns.b at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 2:02 PM, gerry_lowry (alliston ontario canada
> (705) 250-0112)<gerry.lowry at abilitybusinesscomputerservices.com>
> wrote:
>> Robert wrote in part that  "We've known since '99 that Solitaire is weak, thanks to the work of Paul Crowley".
>>
>> It was, however, sufficient as a plot device in "Cryptonomicon".
>>
>> Even simple systems like pig-latin are sufficient as long as they are more sophisticated than those
>> from whom one wishes to safeguard information.
>>

> Thanks, Gerry. I'm familiar with the system and the book (which was
> excellent). But Bruce Schneier still claims on this site that the
> cipher is reasonable strong, and now that I've heard otherwise I'm
> seeking more information.
>
> -Brian

Replying to myself, I found Crowley's site detailing the bias in
solitaire: http://www.ciphergoth.org/crypto/solitaire/

I only really have a basic understanding of crypto, nothing deeply
mathematical enough to understand how this actually effects the
strength of the cipher. Would anyone care to explain this at all?

Thanks,
-Brian

Key Id: 0x3AA70848
Available from: http://keys.gnupg.net