Changing GPG's default key type?

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Fri Jul 31 01:06:08 CEST 2009

> The patent for RSA has now been expired for a few
> years (since 2003)

The patent never expired.  It was due to expire in September 2000; in
August 2000 the patentholders released it into the public domain.
Some people (myself included) think they did this in order to prevent
the media coverage of patent-expiration celebrations.  I was really
looking forward to the party Network Associates (then the owner of
PGP) was throwing, and then got cancelled.

> Only people using rather old versions of GnuPG or PGP (from 1997-2000)
> will have any trouble with RSA keys. If they use GnuPG, they can
> install a plug-in that will enable RSA for them. I don't know if a
> similar option is available for PGP.

No; only people using OpenPGP applications that don't support RSA will
have problems.  This is potentially quite a lot of people.  The last
time I tallied it up there were at least ten different OpenPGP
implementations, and some of them only support the bare minimum
required.