Changing GPG's default key type?

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Fri Jul 31 03:20:02 CEST 2009

On Jul 30, 2009, at 7:06 PM, Robert J. Hansen wrote:

> No; only people using OpenPGP applications that don't support RSA
> will have problems.  This is potentially quite a lot of people.  The
> last time I tallied it up there were at least ten different OpenPGP
> implementations, and some of them only support the bare minimum
> required.

There is theory and then there is practice.

In theory, there are some people who can't handle RSA as the standard
doesn't require it.  In practice (and especially given that the
original poster commented that 90% of the people he plans on
communicating with use GnuPG anyway), that number is vanishingly
small.  PGP in one form or another owns most of the OpenPGP market.
GnuPG owns most of the rest.  I wouldn't worry all that much.

David