list of OpenPGP implementations [was: Re: Changing GPG's default key type?]

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Fri Jul 31 03:23:51 CEST 2009

> Have you had the opportunity to publish this tally someplace?

Wikipedia has a pretty good list, last I checked.  If you're really
interested, check there; my list will not be as comprehensive.

Deployment numbers are both hard to come by and misleading.  GnuPG is
probably overwhelmingly the largest, since it comes standard with
pretty much every Linux distro; but there it's used principally for
package authentication, and few people use it directly.  By
comparison, McAfee is a niche player, but they're pretty big in the
enterprise -- when Network Associates sold off (abandoned) the PGP
desktop suite, they retained the right to sell PGP to enterprise
customers.  Hence, McAfee may be a much bigger player than people think.