Avoid pinentry-gtk-2 when using console!

Roger rogerx at sdf.lonestar.org
Mon Jun 1 00:14:56 CEST 2009

On Sun, 2009-05-31 at 22:52 +0100, Benjamin Donnachie wrote:
> 2009/5/31 Roger <rogerx at sdf.lonestar.org>:
> > I know this sounds ridiculous, but when you consider a console/terminal
> > to be as good look'n as a girl, and then you're made to a X window and
> > forced to type in it, it just feels ridiculous.  Think most folks whom
> > praise the console Gods, feel the same way.
>
> Enable passphrase caching, just enter it the once and be done with it.
>
> Ben

This is why I disabled gpg-agent.  As little as I use Gnupg/PGP, I would
always have to enter the passphrase at Evolution PIM startup... even
though I had no intentions of using gpg for the entire session.  (It's
because a lot of the passwords are put in a gpg keyring ... or
something.)

It makes sense if you use Signatures/Encryption on a daily basis.

If you only use Signatures/Encryption once a month, that's a lot of
passphrase entering & caching!

Granted, I now have to enter the pin each time I sign an email, it's
rare though.  (And, might be a good thing as some people's clients I
email with a PGP based signature have severe issues viewing the email
properly for reasons.  As such, this prevents me from automagically
signing & sending.)

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org