the preference of signing keys question

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Sat Jun 6 15:30:08 CEST 2009

On Jun 6, 2009, at 5:26 AM, Kārlis Repsons wrote:

> Hi,
> still I have questions :)
> This time: is there some gnupg dictated way of setting preference of
> which
> signing/encrypting key to use? For example, I have a long RSA
> subkey, which I
> created just in case. I'd like to use DSA now, but my mailer somehow
> preferred RSA subkey.

GPG will use the most recent valid subkey for a given purpose (i.e.
the most recent valid signing key, the most recent valid encryption
key).  If you want to force the use of a particular key, instead of
specifying your key as XXXXXXX (the key id), specify the exact key or
subkey you want as XXXXXXXX! (the key id plus an exclamation mark).

David