Security Concern: Unsigned Windows Executable

Doug Bateman doug at dougbateman.net
Sun Jun 7 07:01:06 CEST 2009

I want to follow up with this quote from Phil Zimmermann that has always
touched me deeply, and told me what PGP and the PGP community are all about,
and why having a system built ground up for trust, is so important...

Quoting Phil's testimony before congress:

I want to read you a quote from some E-mail I got in October 1993 from
someone in Latvia, on the day that Boris Yeltsin was shelling his own
Parliament building:

*"Phil I wish you to know: let it never be, but if dictatorship takes over
Russia your PGP is widespread from Baltic to Far East now and will help
democratic people if necessary. Thanks."*
Is it unreasonable to reach out to the needs of Windows & Mac users when
authenticating their copy of GPG?  Especially when it is so easy to do?
I'll pay the $240 for a 3 year cert, if you're willing to sign the client.
To me, it's about trust, freedom, and hope.  And I want everyone to have
access to that, even the PC users.