GPG4WIN and GnuPG smartcard, Claws

Malte Gell malte.gell at gmx.de
Mon Jun 8 21:44:00 CEST 2009

Werner Koch schrieb:
> On Sat,  6 Jun 2009 22:52, malte.gell at gmx.de said:
>> Does the GPG4Win package support the GnuPG smartcard? Of course, given there is a reader and its driver installed first...
>
> Yes.
Indeed, GPG4Win works very smoothly.

>> And, how powerful is the Claws client? Does it support multiple pop, smtp accounts and IMAP?
>
> The German c't magazine, issue 3/2009, run a test of several mail
> clients (Claws, Evo, Kmail, Thunderbird) with Claws being the only one
> with a '+' in all categories.  Closely followed by Kmail.  Yes, multiple
> accounts are possible with all protocols.

I see, Claws seems to have very capable filter capabilities. Ugly UI
under Windows, but powerful ;-) I noticed, it does not support SSL
encrypted transmission of pop/smtp passwords? Is this due to lack of SSL
on Windows or is this a general limitation on Claws 3.0.x that comes
with GPG4Win? This makes Claws unusable for mail providers like gmx.net
which only allow SSL secured transmission of passwords (maybe I am wrong
here and the still allow plain text, have not tested).

Regards
Malte