corrupted file?

Joseph Oreste Bruni jbruni at me.com
Tue Jun 23 21:35:08 CEST 2009

On Tuesday, June 23, 2009, at 11:31AM, "Charly Avital" <shavital at mac.com> wrote:
>Joseph Oreste Bruni wrote the following on 6/23/09 1:22 PM:
>> Hello,
>> The file gnupg-2.0.12.tar.bz2 hosted on ftp.gnupg.org appears to be
>> corrupt.
>[...]
>

>Downloaded from <http://www.gnupg.org/download>:
>
>$ gpg --verify path/gnupg-2.0.12.tar.bz2.sig path/gnupg-2.0.12.tar.bz2
>
>gpg: Signature made Wed Jun 17 06:43:42 2009 EDT using RSA key ID 1CE0C630
>gpg: Good signature from "Werner Koch (dist sig) <dd9jn at gnu.org>"
>
>I didn't try to verify the MD5 string.
>

>Charly
>MacOSX 10.5.7

Hi Charly,

Thanks for checking this out. It got me looking a bit closer.

Here's the weird part:  If I download the file using Safari I receive the file correctly.
If I download the file using the command-line "ftp" on either OS X (10.5.7) or FreeBSD (7.2)
the file appears corrupted and is slightly smaller.

BUT, if I issue the "binary" command to the command line ftp
program, the file is retrieved correctly. This is really bizarre because both my local system
and the remote system are both UNIX so binary is supposed to be the default.

If I retrieve the file from the Canadian mirror using the command line, I do not need to
issue the "binary" command for the transfer to be successful.

I can only conclude that something is set up on the primary FTP server (ftp.gnupg.org) that defaults
to ASCII mode.

Joe