Question of a beginner: DSA/ElGamal or RSA/Elgamal with a higher number of encryption?

Alexander Delau lex.delau at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 25 12:30:12 CEST 2009

I'm a beginner in encrypting E-Mails. It would bei nice if you could help me
in my question:

I want to use GnuPG with a masterkey (to sign) and a subkey (to encrypt) on
Windows XP (GnuPG 1.4.9) and Ubuntu (GnuPG ?.?.?).

Now I'm not sure, what keys i should use after typing "gpg --gen-key
--expert" and what keys are secure.

DSA/ElGamal: It's the default setting, but DSA only encrypts with 1024bit.
DSA2: I don't know if it's compatible with other versions.
RSA/ElGamal: RSA can encrypt with 4096bit, but I read that it is more
unsecure than DSA.

So can I use the default setting DSA/ElGamal 1024/4096 or should I use RSA
with a higher bit number?

Thank you for your help.

Best greetings from Germany
Alexander Delau