Exposing email addresses on key servers

Jesse Cheung jesse200808+gpg-users at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 05:34:05 CEST 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 3:09 AM, Werner Koch<wk at gnupg.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 20:20, jesse200808+gpg-users at gmail.com said:
>
>> Does it count if I put a human-readable address like johndoe AT
>> example DOT org? I know it (in such a form) is still fairly easy to
>> parse, but it's at least not as straightforward
>
> Right, any mail program must implement such a parser to make sending
> encrypted mails easy.
I should have made myself clearer: I was saying even if I used an
alternative spelling of my email address, I knew it would still be
possible to be parsed by a spammer.
But it wouldn't be worth the effort (to a spammer) coz any
implementation would be easily broken by other free form yet still
human-readable spellings.

At the moment I would be using signatures much more often than
receiving encrypted emails, so hopefully this shouldn't cause much
trouble.
Since I still feel totally green in this area I am still listening to
opinions on the list and haven't pushed my key yet :P

>> An off-topic question: what's your free/libre solution to spams ? Is
>> anything doing as well as Gmail?
>
> Greylisting, ix.dnsbl.manitu.net based blacklisting and sending all
> mails with at lest one html part to the bitbucket.
Thanks for the info, it's a really useful piece

Cheers,
Jesse