surrendering one's passphrase to authorities

Atom Smasher atom at smasher.org
Wed Mar 4 01:11:31 CET 2009

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009, Robert J. Hansen wrote:

> Yes.  It's the same as the S2K in OpenPGP, last I checked -- which is
> specifically designed to make brute forcers slow.
>
> Let's say the guy has a passphrase with 64 bits of entropy.  Assume you
> have a massively distributed network and some truly cutting-edge math,
> you could probably do it in two solid years of work.  The RC5 project on
> distributed.net took 18 months to do 64 bits, but RC5 wasn't designed to
> be very slow to rekey.
>
> Now consider just how many 64-bit keys the US government would like to
> crack.  It probably numbers in the millions.
>
> Now consider how high this guy's passphrase stands in the to-do list.
==================

most people don't use pass-phrases that strong. in any case, we're talking
about something that can realistically be broken in a reasonable amount of
time (compared to several times the age of the universe) using real-world
technology, not like trying to crack a messages that was intercepted on
the wire, and encrypted with 4096 RSA or a 256bit twofish.

--
         ...atom

  http://atom.smasher.org/
  762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

 	 for their apparent disinclination to do so."
 		-- Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See