gpgsm key creation problem

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Mar 4 10:35:39 CET 2009

On Wed,  4 Mar 2009 01:58, lurkos.usenet at gmail.com said:
> I'm new in gpgsm and I would like to test X.509 and S/MIME style encryption.
> Then I tried the "classical" --gen-key option to generate a new
> keypair, but this error appears.
> What's wrong?

> gpgsm: line 1: key generation failed: Unknown IPC command <GpgSM>

Most likely the gpg-agent is not running or not properly installed.
Check the manual on how to do install the gpg-agent.  A quick test to
see whether the gpg-agent is working is to run gpg-agent without any
options.

You may want to configure a log file for the gpg-agent to see what is
going on.  Put these lines into ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf before starting
gpg-agent:

======
log-file /somewhere/gpg-agent.log
debug 1024
verbose
=======

In the log you should see a "GENKEY" command.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner