auto key locate using keyid

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Mar 4 10:51:39 CET 2009

On Wed,  4 Mar 2009 05:58, dshaw at jabberwocky.com said:

> This is not currently possible.  It seems like it should be (the
> principle of least surprise dictates that it should work with anything
> that can be passed to '-r').

The reason it works only with mail addresses is that I don't see an
application case for anything else.  Gpg is most commonly used for email
encryption and here you need an email address anyway.  --auto-key-locate
makes this case easy by retrieving a corresponding key.

If you have the case that you need to encrypt to a key which has no
email address included or not the one you want, you need some kind of
mapping.  I usually do this with the group option.  Any automatic
mapping will be hard to do because there is no clear way to associate a
keyid with an email address.

For file encryption it should not be too much work to first fetch the
key and then use it.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner