Using GPG in embedded applications?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at agiusa.com
Tue Mar 17 13:24:40 CET 2009

Is it possible to use GPG encryption in embedded applications?
I would like to protect data passing from a PC over to an embedded computer unit via an unsecure channel (TCP/IP or USB) such that when it passes in the transfer line it will be GPG encrypted.
The idea is to have the PC program encrypt a fairly large chunk of data using the embedded unit's public key and then send the result over the channel into the embedded application.

Inside this (protected) hardware the secret key would be used to decode the data, then some processing would be done whereupon the resulting data is again GPG encrypted now with the public key of the PC program and sent back over the channel.
Finally the PC program would decode the data and further process it.

To do this I figured I would have to use the encryption/decryption kernel in the GPG package both in the PC and on the embedded application hardware.

So I would need to be able to:
1) Include the sourcecode of the relevant part of GPG into my PC application.

2) Include the same in the embedded hardware program.

Is this at all possible and how do I retrieve and identify the needed sourcefiles in GPG?

BosseB