gpgme on windows

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Mar 20 14:59:15 CET 2009

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 18:24, gordian.klein at gmx.de said:

> Is it possible to build a static library with mingw or cygwin that i can
> link against with VS?

No, the Microsoft C compiler requires a newer version of the Microsoft C
runtime library than the one supported by mingw.  This will lead to a
lot of nasty problems, so you better don't do that.  The different CRTs
are also the reason why we provide a gpgme_free function to release
memory allocated and returned by gpgme.

Frankly I don't see a reason to use a static library.  Only the DLL
allows to hide symbols and have some ABI vesioning.

Let me also note that you need to release the full source code of your
application including all required tools if you link statically.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner