There are actually two public keys?

R.A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Mon May 18 14:45:38 CEST 2009

I passed this on to Jon Callas. Here's what he came back with...

Cheers,
RAH
-------

My apologies for top-posting, and please forward this on.

I'm going to agree slightly differently with David Shaw.

The reason for it is a notion of what's called "key hygiene," and
that's an important concept in RSA usage. That is the notion that one
should never sign with an encryption key, and never encrypt with a
signing key.

The reason for RSA is that every signature is a decryption, and every
encryption is a signature verification. The worry is that if you use
one key for both encrypting and signing, there's the possibility that
something exists that corresponds to that encryption as a signature.
And actually, such a thing must exist. In the hyperbole of the time,
there's the possibility that a murder confession exists that
corresponds to every encryption. I'm probably not explaining it as
well as others could, mostly because it's late as I write this, and it
always made me roll my eyes when I heard it.

The idea is arguably daft, but less so if you have weak hash
functions, perhaps. Nonetheless, it does make sense that since
encrypting and signing are the reverses of each other in RSA, you
should just make the policy decision to use a key *either* for
encrypting or signing, but not both.

That's the real reason for the dual key stuff in PGP 3, and thus
OpenPGP.

The discrete log stuff followed, but that was events catching up with
design. The DSA/Elgamal versions came very close to never being
shipped. Key hygiene was the first reason for the dual key structure.

	Jon