GNUPG 1.2.1 problem

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Thu May 21 18:00:40 CEST 2009

On May 20, 2009, at 5:25 AM, Paweł Żuk wrote:

> I use gnupg 1.2.1 version
> For same cases during decrypting I receive:
>
> gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit RSA key, ID 453733BB, created
> 2006-02-13          "Comapny (User) <userid at host.com>"         gpg:
> md_enable: algorithm 8 not available
> gpg: Signature made Tue May 19 16:10:09 2009 CEST using RSA key ID
> FD947F6A
> gpg: Can't check signature: unknown digest algorithm
> There is any possibility to skip this error.

Yes.  If you use the --skip-verify option to GPG, it will do the
decryption step, but not do the verification step.

Note, though, that may not be what you want if the signature over the
data is important to you.  In that case, you must either upgrade or
ask the person sending you the message to use a digest algorithm that
you can handle.  You can get a list of digests that you can handle by
typing "gpg --version".  The "Hash" list is what you can handle.

> I can not upgrade my current version of gnupg

"Algorithm 8" is SHA-256.  Those folks who want a switchover to
SHA-256, pay attention :)

David