Avoid pinentry-gtk-2 when using console!

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Sun May 31 05:16:29 CEST 2009

On Saturday, May 30th 2009 at 16:58 -0000, quoth Roger:

> Is there a method to avoid using pinentry-gtk-2 when using a console
> within X and specify using pinentry or pinentry-curses?
>
> I've already tried recompiling gnupg & pinentry (using -gtk -qt3). :-/
>

> This bugs me because I'm working on the console and have to move my
> fingers from the keyboard to my mouse (or whatever) to enter the pin
> into the X widget instead of console!

Whatever program you're using that is invoking gpg has the DISPLAY
variable set. What you can do is to create a shell wrapper that shuts
DISPLAY off. e.g., I'm running alpine, so I *could* create an alpine
command a la

#! /bin/bash
unset DISPLAY
/usr/bin/alpine "$@"
exit

The only caveat is that whatever program you use will suffer the loss of
access to your entire DISPLAY, not just pinentry

steveo at syslang.net