Avoid pinentry-gtk-2 when using console!

Roger rogerx at sdf.lonestar.org
Sun May 31 23:37:29 CEST 2009

On Sun, 2009-05-31 at 13:09 +0100, Benjamin Donnachie wrote:
> 2009/5/31 Roger <rogerx at sdf.lonestar.org>:
> > From searching on the web, there's quite a few others griping about this
> > same issue.
>
> <rant>I do wish people would stop complaining about open source
> software and actually roll their sleeves up and do something to
> help.</rant>

I do... when, if ever, I get time now.

For others, they did too.  One of them proposed a patch for pinentry and
posted the proposal on the web.  ... not sure if they sent it to the
mailing list though.

> One solution, create a symbolic link in your home directory to
> whatever pinentry you want to use at a particular time, and point your
> gpg-agent config to that, eg in ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent - pinentry-program
> /home/gpguser/.gnupg/use-this-pinentry
>
> So when X starts have your link, say ~/.gnupg/use-this-pinentry point
> to the X one, when you start a shell, modify the link for
> ~/.gpg-agent/use-this-pinentry to the curses one - easy enough to
> achieve with the bash login/out scripts.

Quick & dirty hack compared to one that is hard coded with if/then.
Besides, I don't use gpg-agent.  I got prompted one too many times for
my pin and/or something broke too.  Seemed more of a hassle at the
current time, so I recompiled everything on my Gentoo box here to not
use gpg-agent.  Besides, I'm the only one using this computer/network
and thought it was overkill.

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org