Is it possible to decide what is a gpg file?

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Tue Nov 17 23:50:24 CET 2009

On Nov 17, 2009, at 12:38 PM, Melikamp T. Medley wrote:

> Thanks for your answers, David, Timo.
>
> A somewhat related question: is there a tool that is designed
> to produce "undetectable" encryption, i.e. something that is
> very plausibly random? I gather from your answers that gpg does
> not do that.

That is correct, GPG does not do that.  In theory, you could transform
GPG output in such a way to make it (plausibly) appear random.  The
difficulty in practice is that my plausible and someone else's
plausible may not match up - and you also would need a plausible
reason why you chose to hang on to a bunch of large "random" files on
your machine ;)

If you did some OpenPGP packet manipulation, you could probably do
fairly well here... but you'd have to do some work on the receiving
side to re-create a valid OpenPGP message so GPG could decrypt it.

David