Network Mounted Home Directory and removal of --passphrase option

gw1500se awingnut at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 9 17:40:39 CEST 2009

Werner Koch wrote:

> Well, it is available for 6 years and GnuPG 2.0 was released 3 years
> ago.  Gpg-agent is not optional but a cornerstone of GnuPG-2.
>
> To let us help you fixing your installation, you should give us a bit
> more detailed information and exact error messages.
>

> Salam-Shalom,
>
>    Werner

Thanks for the reply. I admit I am behind but as there were no problems
there was no real need to change GPG.

As I said in the original message I believe the problem is associated with
the way the agent determines the path for the .gnupg directory if the user's
home is auto-mounted via Open Directory.

The specific error is:

gpg-agent[6675]: error binding socket to
'/Network/Servers/xxxxxx.xxxxxxxx.com/Volumes/USER1/Users-home/xxxxxxx/.gnupg/S.gpg-agent':
Operation not supported

While that path is perfectly valid ($HOME) I have never been able to get it
to work with anything for unknown reasons. The path that I believe would
work is  '/Volumes/USER1/Users-home/xxxxxxx/.gnupg/S.gpg-agent'. However,
the best path would be ~xxxxxxx/.gnupg/S.gpg-agent'.