A lot of questions about CERT, PKA and make-dns-cert

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Wed Oct 21 04:55:03 CEST 2009

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009, David Shaw wrote:

> On Oct 15, 2009, at 9:37 PM, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
>> I'm running:
>>
>> echo foo | gpg -v -v --auto-key-locate cert --recipient gushi at gushi.org
>> --encrypt -a
>>
>> And get gpg: error retrieving `gushi at gushi.org' via DNS CERT: No
>> fingerprint
>>
>> I exported my key with:
>>
>> gpg --export --export-options minimal > file; and make-dns-cert -n
>> gushi.gushi.org -f file
>
> It works fine for me.  What version of GPG are you using?

I tried this again, after I nuked the "fingerprint" cert record.

Oddly, running on gpg2 on an older debian system, I get:

# echo "foo" | gpg2 -v -v --auto-key-locate cert --encrypt -r
gushi at gushi.org
gpg: no keyserver known (use option --keyserver)
gpg: error retrieving `gushi at gushi.org' via DNS CERT: General error
gpg: gushi at gushi.org: skipped: General error
gpg: [stdin]: encryption failed: General error

That first line specifically makes me scratch my head a bit.

(The gpg manpage also appears to be a bit corrupted on this system).

On my bsd system, I get what you see at http://www.gushi.org/gpg.txt.  It
retrieves the key, but complains of "no fingerprint", however it actually
DOES import the key, so it works a second time.  If you require a shell to
play with this, let me know and I'll provide one.  With the demise of
thawte's free cert offering, I'd really like to do what I can to increase
awareness of this stuff.

On my ubuntu desktop, it works fine.

I suspect strongly that this feature doesn't get the most broad platform
testing.  Let me know if you'd like to help.

-Dan