what is the HEX signature off a normal *.gpg file . for EmailFilter - BCC Mail protect Quarant

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Fri Sep 4 19:12:07 CEST 2009

On Sep 4, 2009, at 10:06 AM, Joachim.Blomberg at vr-leasing.de wrote:

> Hi,
>
> im sending  *.gpg Mail-Attachments to external Customers , but our
> EmailFilter - BCC Mail protect Quarantine stopps the and we have to
> release them manual.
> I need the HEX File Siganture for GPG Files to customize that in BCC
> Mail Protect .

This is unfortunately a difficult question.  GPG (really, OpenPGP)
supports multiple encodings and thus multiple signatures a file may
present to a mail scanner.

You may be able to match the most common signatures, but by no means
will that cover them all.

Having said that, some common signatures (in "file magic" format) are:

0       beshort         0x9900                  text/PGP key public ring
0       beshort         0x9501                  text/PGP key security
ring
0       beshort         0x9500                  text/PGP key security
ring
0       beshort         0xa600                  text/PGP encrypted data
0       string          -----BEGIN\040PGP       text/PGP armored data
 >15     string          PUBLIC\040KEY\040BLOCK- public key block
 >15     string          MESSAGE-                message
 >15     string          SIGNED\040MESSAGE-      signed message
 >15     string          PGP\040SIGNATURE-       signature
0       beshort         0x8501                  data

David