IDEA patent vs the recent USPTO memorandum

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Wed Sep 16 21:46:14 CEST 2009

M.B.Jr. wrote:
> I've recently had access to this document, written by the "United
> States Patent and Trademark Office" (USPTO) which basically tries to
> ban software patents.

The memorandum in question is eight pages, twenty slides and two flowcharts.

As a ballpark estimate that would mean it would take an IP lawyer about
two days to figure out what this means for the specific subject of
patented cryptographic algorithms.  It would take the non-experts on
this list many times that long, if we could do it at all.

There may be patent lawyers on this list who are familiar with the
memorandum in question who are willing to speak in a public forum about
it.  Weirder things have happened.  But speaking for myself, I do not
have the time it takes to (a) become an expert on U.S. patent law, (b)
read the memorandum, and (c) consider how it changes the U.S. patent
system, and (d) write up my results.

If this is important to you, I would suggest speaking with an IP lawyer.