Question about GnuPG Shell 1.0

Bob Henson bob.henson at galen.org.uk
Sun Sep 20 10:50:22 CEST 2009

John Clizbe wrote:

>> Allen Schultz wrote:
>>> Have you set the System PATH and then tried the installation again? Is
>>> it possible GPG Shell uses PATH and other windows settings for looking
>>> for GnuPG?
>> "GPGshell" is a different tool. GPGshell is closed-source (likely VB) and
>> Windows-only.  The OP was asking about "GnuPG Shell",
>> http://www.tech-faq.com/gnupg-shell.shtml, which is cross-platform and has
>> source available as well as pre-built executables for Debian, Redhat, and Windows.
>>
>> That distinction made, setting the PATH environment variable is probably a good
>> start, either at a user or a system level for Windows. It's still possible that
>> the Windows build of "GnuPG Shell" checks values in the registry, but those
>> should have been set correctly if GnuPG was installed with the Windows installer.
>
> Checked the source tarball for GnuPG Shell...
>
> The NSIS installer script for the Windows build of "GnuPG Shell" is checking for
> the value "Install Directory" in the Windows registry under
> HKLM\Software\GNU\GnuPG to determine if GnuPG is installed.
> The Windows installer from GnuPG.org
> [ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/binary/gnupg-w32cli-1.4.10b.exe] correctly sets this
> value.
>
> Try re-running the GnuPG installer, then running the GnuPGShell installer.

I think, from memory, you get the same error message if the keyring is
not available at that directory. If the OP has his keyrings elsewhere
than in the GnuPG directory, he may need to set/reset the registry so
HOMEDIR points to the correct directory. I wonder if that might be the case?

Regards,

Bob