IDEA patent vs the recent USPTO memorandum

Johan Wevers johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 21 20:30:33 CEST 2009

David Shaw wrote:

>If the "some people" still want this, I haven't seen it in a good long
>while.  Possibly they gave up asking.

Probably. However, if someone wants IDEA support for whatever reason there
is still the IDEA plugin. It still works with GnuPG 1.4.10 for both Linux
and Windows, although I have not tested it with the 2.0 versions.

>To say nothing of the fact that compliant OpenPGP implementations are
>explicitly banned from generating RFC-1991 keys.

Why is that? Forced upgrading?

Anyway, pgp 2.6.3ia builds just fine on modern Linux and win32 platforms.
For win32, all you have to do is make a project file including all source
files in Visual Studio and compile it. Long filename support etc. comes
automatically so windows users don't have to be stuck with some DOS
executable which would be a pita.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers         //  Physics and science fiction site:
johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl   //  http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html