Details of signature verification status-fd lines

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Sep 22 17:19:27 CEST 2009

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 16:26, bmearns at ieee.org said:
> Just a quick question on the --status-fd output from a --verify
> operation: if EXPSIG, EXPKEYSIG, or REVKEYSIG are given, could
> VALIDSIG or GOODSIG also show up? In other words, are these just for

It depends.  EXPKEYSIG for example may come in addition to VALIDSIG.
VALIDSIG is the modern version of GOODSIG.  Except for the description
in doc/DETAILS we don't have a more specific description (it is on our
task list, though).

The best way to see what you can expect is to look at the gpgme code.
gpgme/src/verify.c computes the validity of signatures.  Processing the
NEWSIG status line is in general a good idea so that you don't mix the
status lines given for different signatures.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner