choosing an encryption target from a User ID

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Sep 24 10:57:04 CEST 2009

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 19:04, dkg at fifthhorseman.net said:

> Has this been made this clear to collaborating MUA/plugin developers?  I
> think the "auto select a key" step for MUAs or plugins is often
> implemented as "let gpg pick the key based on the user ID".

I added PGP/MIME crypto to several MUA and as far as I can remember I
always used the approach to listy all keys and then select the bext
matching one.  Mutt used this even before gpg; in recent code bases grep
for crypt_getkeybyaddr.  I have not looked at the enigmail code but I
recall that the first PGP/MIME implementation for Mozilla (~2000) worked
as I described.  Unfortunately they refused this code.

>   https://bugs.g10code.com/gnupg/issue1143

Thanks.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner