How to NOT Use IDEA?

Bill House bhouse1273 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 22:06:51 CEST 2010

Surely this is a newbie question, but I have been trying for some time to
get GPG to create a signed and encrypted file.  Not wanting to go through
the whole recompile thing and not caring to use the IDEA cipher, it seems to
me that GPG should simply work by default.  Sadly, it does not seem to work
for me.

I created a new RSA/RSA 2048 key in my keyring.  So long as I only want to
encrypt, it works fine.  When I want to encrypt AND sign, it complains that
I need the IDEA algorithm.  When I specify the cipher-algo, it either claims
the cipher is invalid, or it complains that it cannot use IDEA  -- which is
it?  I have tried all the ciphers reported by using gpg --list-packets on
the exported keyfile, to no avail.  Here is the example of my command line:

gpg --armor --cipher-algo cast5 --sign --passphrase yadayada --user
someHexID --recipient someHexID --output "output.asc" --encrypt "input.csv"

I am running the Windows version of gpg 1.4.10b

Where have I gone wrong?

Thanks,

Bill