Moving from PGP to GPG

Paul Richard Ramer free10pro at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 22:09:38 CEST 2010

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 21:10:12 -0400, Michael Feinberg wrote:
> I have been using PGP on Windows for some time, and am now trying to
> move to Fedora.  That implies a move to GPG, which is fine, but I want
> to have access to my PGP files without converting every single one.  I
> imported my secret keys, could not get a confirmation for importing
> public keys.
>
> So do I just use PGP for Fedora, if it exists?  Am I missing the easy
> way to access PGP files using GPG?

Well first, you can use GnuPG without converting your existing
PGP-encrypted files.  PGP and GnuPG both implement the same protocol
(i.e. set of rules) called OpenPGP, and because of that, they both use
the same file formats.

Secondly, are you sure that your public keys haven't been imported?
When you import your private keys, the public keys are imported with
them.  The reason is that a copy of the public key is kept with the
secret key.  You should be able to list your public and secret keys with
the following commands:

*List public keys
gpg --list-keys <your key ID>

*List secret keys
gpg --list-secret-keys

The first command will list keys which have user IDs matching <your key
ID>, and the second will list all of your secret keys.

If you would like a GUI program for using GnuPG, there are Seahorse, Gnu
Privacy Assistant (GPA), and KGpg (for KDE).  If you are using Fedora
with the GNOME desktop environment (which is the default), then Seahorse
is probably installed.

If any of this is unclear to you or you found your solution, please let
us know.

- -Paul

- --
New Windows 7: Double the DRM, Double the fun! Learn more:
<http://windows7sins.org>

| PGP Key ID: 0x3DB6D884                                              |
| PGP Fingerprint: EBA7 88B3 6D98 2D4A E045  A9F7 C7C6 6ADF 3DB6 D884 |