Protecting IDs at a key signing party

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Wed Dec 8 22:54:02 CET 2010

On 12/8/10 3:20 PM, Hank Ivy wrote:
> What should I take?  How should I organize, and protect the IDs?

For me, I bring a passport and a driver's license.  If anyone tells me
"that's not enough for me!", well, okay: it's not enough for them.
There are plenty of other people at the keysigning party, and I might
not want to have a signature from someone quite that paranoid and
tinfoil-hatted, anyway.  :)

The best way to protect the ID is to not let it out of your sight.  If
someone wants to hold onto your ID to inspect it, let them: but don't
let them walk away with it.  Sounds stupid, but it works.

Honestly, the biggest ID risk at a keysigning party is people
accidentally walking away with each others' drivers' licenses.