multiple subkeys and key transition

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Sun Dec 12 05:25:39 CET 2010

On 12/11/2010 10:28 PM, MFPA wrote:
>> You authenticate Amazon by
>> checking their SSL cert and seeing that it was issued
>> by a trusted authority.
>
> Or do I just notice the padlock icon and the yellow addressbar
> indicating an encrypted connection?

The two are generally synonymous.  Whether a user *should* trust the
same CAs as their browser vendor is a very good question -- however, the
fact is the overwhelming majority of users *do*.  If the browser says "a
trusted CA certifies this site is for real," the user is going to
believe it.

> To me, the page where payment details are entered does not look much
> like an example of "no user requirement to authenticate the identity
> of the server, but rather a simple requirement to prevent snooping."

Can't please everybody.  If it was an involved process the vast majority
of users wouldn't bother.  Instead, it's just a "check for a padlock and
a yellow address bar."