gnupgp basics - using same keys with multiple local accounts

John Clizbe John at Mozilla-Enigmail.org
Fri Dec 17 03:32:48 CET 2010

Tomasz Zajączkowski wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have installed gnupgp on Solaris 10 and created a pair of keys for
> myself and imported key from my client. I need use same set for
> different local account - unfortunately whenever I try to change the
> folder with --homedir option I am ending up with:
> gpg --homedir /my-folder
> gpg: WARNING: using insecure memory!
> gpg: please see http://www.gnupg.org/faq.html for more information
> gpg: Go ahead and type your message ...
>
> Is there an easy way how to share the keys between different OS local accounts?

I believe you want '--homedir /my-folder/.gnupg'.

GnuPG's homedir option does not point to $HOME, but $HOME/.gnupg, the location
of GnuPG's keyring files and optional gpg.conf.

The other alternative is to either copy {pubring,secring,trustdb}.gpg to the new
account or, if populated keyring files already exist, to import secring.gpg and
pubring.gpg from the original account to the new account.

--
John P. Clizbe                      Inet:John (a) Mozilla-Enigmail.org
FSF Assoc #995 / FSFE Fellow #1797  hkp://keyserver.gingerbear.net  or