key question

John Clizbe John at Mozilla-Enigmail.org
Thu Feb 25 19:04:00 CET 2010

MFPA wrote:
> On Thursday 25 February 2010 at 3:53:23 AM, in
> <mid:4B85F433.1040405 at Mozilla-Enigmail.org>, John Clizbe wrote:
>> MFPA wrote:
>>> Hi John

>>> But is, of course, a matter of personal choice.
>
>> Whatever. Everything in life is a matter of personal choice.
>
>> Was there some point you wished to make?
>
> My point was that not everybody wishes/chooses to send their keys to
> the keyservers.

Then you need not send your key to the keyserver network. Pretty simple personal
choice, huh? Don't want to? Don't do it.

Whether one chooses to send his key to the keyservers or not, it is still a good
idea and in the interest of the OpenPGP community to utilize the keyservers.
*Public* key encryption is fostered by the *public* dissemination of keys and
the keyservers are, IMO, the best mechanism for that. I stand by my earlier
statement.

> Some people hate the idea and get *very* upset if their key does end
> up on the servers.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... I see. Do they take their ball and go home? Do they jump up
and down? Stomp their feet? Hold their breath until they turn blue? Do they
forward private email to a public list?

Such key sequestration is a minority viewpoint and I doubt even a good number of
folks on a fully encrypted forum such as PGPNet would agree with you and would
instead support keyserver use.

--
John P. Clizbe                      Inet:John (a) Mozilla-Enigmail.org
You can't spell fiasco without SCO. hkp://keyserver.gingerbear.net  or