key question

Richard Geddes rich.geddes at verizon.net
Sat Feb 27 01:55:06 CET 2010

As well as backing up your private key and password on other electronic
storage (CD/memory stick... encrypted of course), I recommend that you
print your private key, a revocation certificate, and your passphrase on
paper, and store that document in a safe place... a secure lock box, ...
a safety deposit box in a bank.  I've had bad luck with CD/DVD media
going bad, and consider them an unreliable resource simply because of
integrity problems.

Also, you may want to use Shamir's Secret Sharing Scheme to split up
your passphrase among ***trusted*** friends, so that no single friend
has the passphrase, but requires several of them to regenerate your
passphrase when you loose your passphrase.  Trust, in this context,
really is about, statistically, how often someone follows the rules set
up to maintain a secure environment, and not what or who you feel good
about or admire.

Trust is only created when you set up these types of structures...
anything else is going on faith.

Richard