Web of Trust itself is the problem

Mark H. Wood mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Thu Jan 7 19:27:16 CET 2010

On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 12:23:55PM -0500, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> On 1/7/10 12:08 PM, Mario Castelán Castro wrote:
> > very few really care about their privacity.
>
> The fact that "free credit reporting services" are making a ton of
> money, as are services like LifeLock and whatnot, plus the huge media
> impact of identity theft, etc., all points to people knowing their
> privacy is at risk and feeling stressed out about it.
>
> However, most people lack the skills necessary to do anything about
> their privacy, and lack the inclination (time, energy, or even
> self-confidence) to do anything about their lack of skills.

I think this hits way below the level of technology.  We haven't been
taught useful ways of thinking about our security and identity
w.r.t. the world we now live in.  When concepts like "authentication"
and "trust" are seriously discussed in grade school (perhaps in
smaller words :-) then we'll begin to build a society (as opposed to a
few experts and enthusiasts) which is prepared to use these tools
effectively.  As it is, few know *how* to care about their privacy.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer, enthusiast   mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Friends don't let friends publish revisable-form documents.