Encrypting for multiple users

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Sun Jan 24 02:55:59 CET 2010

On 01/20/10 06:51, Mohan Radhakrishnan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am encrypting for multiple recipients.
>
> gpg -r <user1> -r <user2> -r <user3>  -r <user4> --encrypt file.txt
>
> 3 users are able to decrypt the files. The 4th user though is getting
> this messsage.
>
> I am using GPG. All users use PGP to decrypt. Shouldn't make a difference ?
>
> "It is not possible to decrypt this message because your keyring does not
>  contain usable private key(s) corresponding to any of the above public
> key(s)."
>

> It looks like the 4 th user is doing something wrong ?

Well that message is pretty self-explanatory. :)  This commonly happens
when someone is mistaken about which keys they have, and/or where those
keys are located. This leads to you having the wrong public key. Have
the person do whatever the PGP equivalent to 'gpg --list-keys' is and
then you should be able to sort it out from there.

hth,

Doug

			-- Pablo Picasso