Unable to delete bogus keys

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Mon Jan 25 07:50:50 CET 2010

On 01/22/10 14:56, Jerry wrote:
> System Info:
>
> FreeBSD-7.2
>
> gpg (GnuPG) 2.0.14
> libgcrypt 1.4.4
>
> gpa 0.9.0
>
> I honestly have no idea what the problem is here. I am not even sure if
> this is the correct mail forum to ask this question in. I recently
> installed GnuPG on my system. Everything appeared to go fine. For some
> reason, I have numerous keys listed that I have no knowledge of.

I tried installing gpa and along with the keys that are actually on my
gnupg keyring I also saw "keys" similar to the ones you have. Faramir
was right in that these are NOT gnupg keys, they do seem to be X.509
certs. I'm not sure why gpa is picking them up, and while I'm mildly
curious I haven't dug deeply into where they are located.

I would not encourage you to use this tool, it's FAR better to learn the
command line options. If you really feel that you need a graphical tool
for key management the one included with enigmail (the thunderbird gnupg
addon) is better than most, and has the advantage that you can use the
same tool in FreeBSD and Windows.

> This is a screen shot when I attempt to delete a bogus key:

Rule number 1 of Information Technology, don't delete things if you
don't know what they are. :)  Ok, wait, actually that's rule number 2.
Rule number 1 is "make good backups." But seriously, don't delete stuff
you don't understand, unless you're prepared to spend a lot of time
rebuilding/reinstalling things. Of course, that's also a good way to
learn, but only if you have an effectively infinite supply of time on
your hands. ;)

hth,

Doug

			-- Pablo Picasso